ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
About Downtown STL, Inc.
Downtown STL, Inc. (DSI) serves as a catalyst for creating, promoting, and attracting investment, economic activity and vibrancy in Downtown St. Louis, defined as Downtown and Downtown West. DSI is a 501(c)(6) membership-based organization, supported primarily by membership dues and sponsorship. DSI is contracted by the Downtown St. Louis Community Improvement District to implement its management plan, which includes activities related to supporting economic growth.
Downtown STL, Inc. has an immediate opening for an Economic Development Director. This high-profile position focuses daily on economic growth by supporting the needs of developers and brokers and developing and managing relationships with property owners, property managers, business leaders and tenants. This employee must become a fast authority on the Downtown business community, someone who is the first to hear about upcoming relocations, expansions and other business changes that offer an opportunity to drive economic development. The Economic Development Director understands the importance of business start-ups and residential development to Downtown’s economic growth.
The winning candidate will display a passion for Downtown St. Louis while thriving in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. We’re looking for someone adept at developing relationships, understanding business problems and finding solutions in conjunction with our partners.
- Actively promotes Downtown to developers and the St. Louis region.
- Serves as a resource for developers, property owners and business owners seeking to move or expand operations Downtown.
- Creates and maintains an evergreen list of expiring leases to guide the DSI Board and Economic Development Committee in maintaining relationships and addressing issues that may put retention at risk. Utilizing supportive tools, responds to inquiries on available real estate, rental space and expiring business leases.
- Works with partner organizations on a structured Business, Retention and Expansion program.
- Works directly with city departments and agencies to address concerns that require city government involvement. Helps connect businesses with incentives and other resources provided by area government and non-profit organizations.
- Serves as DSI’s chief liaison to area economic development entities including the St. Louis Development Corporation, the AllianceSTL, the Missouri Partnership and the St. Louis Economic Development Partnership, collaborating to attract and retain businesses.
Applicant should have an undergraduate degree in business, economics, urban planning or a related field. Master’s degree is preferred. Well-qualified candidates will have:
- Minimum 7 years business experience; commercial brokerage experience a plus.
- Previous employment or involvement in urban planning, economic development, or city and neighborhood revitalization.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and cultivate relationships with a wide variety of business and government representatives
- Experience working collaboratively within and across organizations
- Experience with real estate tools such as CoStar and LOIS
- Excellent communication skills and experience with data collection and analysis
If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.